Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Top 5 Reasons to Dislike Pre-Med Students

I recently read a blog with this title, so I decided I would re-blog it with my reasons why even though some of this is true, it's not our fault, sometimes the system just forces us to be this way and if we want the future we have to do the work.

The blog went like this
5. They haggle with their teachers for extra points.
As a teaching assistant, I would have been rich if my pre-med students gave me a dime every time they nagged me for partial credit on questions that they had gotten completely wrong.
In my experience, if there is a possibility I can get extra-credit for the work I put in, the I am going to try and get it, because getting in to med-school relays directly off these marks. This is even more the case if I am hanging just on a 5 for the subject (1-7 GPA system) and I need to maintain a GPA of 5.
Btw - I am not the smartest student in my class, I do not get the best grades, but the grades I do get I have to work my ass off for and I know many others who are just the same, so don't ever feel discouraged to follow your dream because of how smart you think you are/aren't

4. They use questionable tactics to get good grades.
Some of them may turn to study drugs like adderall, dexedrine, provigil, and ritalin. Others will beg upperclassmen for copies of old exams, which give them an unfair advantage over their classmates.
I have never taken drugs, I do know people who have to stay awake to cram the night before an exam, though mostly we will just drink a whole lot of caffeinated drinks and take a no-doze, because you know, when there is that much to remember, you need all the hours you can get in a day.
If I can get a copy of an old exam, you are damn straight I will take it, but that is why it is the Uni's responsibility to make sure students don't take them home right? o.O In my opinion, it's as unfair as having a good study group, the course coordinator as your lecturer, or an awesome tutor - If we have access we will take it and I don't believe for a second an engineering, law or business student wouldn't do exactly the same!

3. They horde leadership positions and then run organizations into the ground.
To pad their résumés, they run for the presidency of science clubs and volunteer organizations, and then fail to fulfill their responsibilities because they are too busy studying.
We do like to pad our resumes, because our resumes are what get's us into med-school. And if I'm not mistaken we want to be there because we are passionate about helping people, I know myself that when I volunteer, I do my very best to help out in whatever way I can. My mission in life is to help people, it's why I want to be a surgeon and that's the same for everyone who can make it into med-school. Otherwise we wouldn't work so hard for it

2. They game the system to get good grades.
By strategically dropping any class that is not going well and carefully picking courses taught by the easiest professors they ensure themselves a good grade point average.
Well yeah, if I am failing a course or it's too much for me to handle I will drop it (granted it's before census dates) because really, does anyone want a fail on their record and more importantly, that one fail will leave you feeling bummed for ages and it will be damn hard to get back up with your other courses (I know, I've been there).
Now here is where the system really fails, I want to learn and I want to choose courses that will allow that, but if there is an easy course option that will allow me to boost my GPA, I will take it, because in the end my GPA is what will get me into med-school and that is where I want to be - simple -

1. They are not motivated by curiosity.
If they ask a question in class, it’s often to find out what will be on an upcoming exam. Some of them volunteer to work in a lab on real research projects, but they don’t give it their all because they have no passion for scientific inquiry — it’s just another line on their résumés
This one actually really bugged me, I am curious, about science and anatomy and physiology, not so much about math or physics or psychology. But when I volunteer for a research project, I work hard to get there and I work even harder to get the results, saying that we aren't as interested because we focus on our grades, is exactly the same as any other University student am I right? I'm going to say it one last times OUR GPA'S GET US INTO MED-SCHOOL so yes we will focus on them. But more importantly we want to help people, if we are involved in a research project that can help people, do you really think we wouldn't give it our all? and if it is another line on our resume do you think we would not give it our all, do you not realise we also need your letter of recommendation?


Give me a break, pre-med students work their asses off, I know I do
We have limited time for a life, no time for sleep, limited time for showering, no time to work, and everything we have is put toward; study, volunteering and furthering our academic knowledge and transcript - DAMN STRAIGHT

though honestly, I wouldn't change it for the world

No comments:

Post a Comment